Bright House Networks is an award-winning company made up of friendly employees who go above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service. Our strength is in our employees. Customer loyalty is our top priority, and our employees are committed to building unique relationships in a fast-paced team environment. Bright House Networks encourages a positive, supportive and open culture which rewards employee accountability and grants empowerment for all members of our team. Our commitment to diversity guarantees we employ the best.
The Report Developer/Analyst performs as a communication liaison among business requestors providing a variety of client/server and SQL reporting functions. This position understands business problems and opportunities in the context of the requirements and recommends solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals while providing consistency in reporting techniques and standards. This position will, as appropriate, require some participation in the technical design and functional specifications for new reporting systems development and enhancements to existing applications.
The Report Developer/Analyst position resides within the National Enterprise Operations Team. This position requires the ability to understand and be able to train staff on new technologies while setting coding standards to provide consistent quality, techniques and auditing capabilities within in the department. This position also requires writing new and modifying existing report applications in a multi-platform environment using SQL code and/or other programming languages by gathering requirements, analyzing needs, providing solutions and validating results for Reporting related projects and requests.
This position reports to the Manager of Business Operations. Although this position does not have any direct reports, it does require the incumbent to have leadership abilities.
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The company reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as a reports Developer and creation resource reporting directly to the Manager of Business Operations, with specific concentration on assigned key projects.
- Works with department leads in context of reviewing tickets, assigning or reassigning tickets, providing guidance for prioritization changes and directly workflow.
- Works with department leads in the assessment, validation, and recommendation of best reporting solutions for business requirements.
- Works closely with department leads in other areas to determine needs and format/design of requested data, to meet user needs, whether clearly specified or only implied.
- Develops report applications and makes modifications to existing applications based on previously prepared specifications.
- Responsible for analysis, some coding, problem resolution, and user support for one or more system report applications.
- Participates in the research and recommendation of new tools, techniques, and methods as they apply to the Enterprise Operations Management Reporting Team Methodology.
- Strives to attain a basic knowledge of project management concepts, methods, and technologies and applies these skills in working with users on reporting requests.
- Maintains and supervises standard report writing practices to ensure consistency of data between various reports.
- Provides report-writing support for a broad range of users nationally, from infrequent users to power users.
- Create, update and maintain any necessary requirements and technical documentation.
- Prepares materials for instruction for training new users and may be required to hold classes to train same.
- Ability to estimate time for report stages and prioritize work to achieve designated tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to sit for long periods of time, with occasional standing, walking, bending or stooping. The employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to type, handle or feel; and have the ability to type and read using a computer. The employee must be able to communicate on the phone with the use of a headset. Work is in an office environment at a single location, with occasional travel for meetings and training courses.
- Possess statistical, financial and research competencies with a keen attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of business concepts and terminologies; business process engineering, analyses, modeling; project management principles and adherence.
- Possess knowledge and ability to assimilate, assess, validate, conceptualize, advise and recommend reporting related business solutions.
- Strong knowledge of relational data base concepts and an understanding or knowledge of IT infrastructure, communication (XML, HTTP, MQS), application server concepts, transaction processing and system design methodologies.
- Strong ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize, conduct, manage and organize multiple projects and priorities within deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL using Business Objects, Crystal Reports and other multiple query systems.
- Intermediate Visio and Excel knowledge (pivot tables, formula usage, forms).
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe, SharePoint and MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Project, Access, etc.).
- Ability to solve problems, make decisions, and prove superior results independently as a self starter with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Possess highly developed written and interpersonal communication skills in business dialogue, including preparation and presentation to internal and external audiences of all levels.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining superior results in each area.
- Ability to acquire new skills and improve on existing skills as that relates to the utilization of contemporary tools such as Info Maker, SQL Anywhere, MS SQL SERVER, Oracle, MS PROJECT, etc.
- Attends user groups as appropriate.
- Continues self-education on those products supported.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field preferred, or commensurate industry training and job experience is required.
- Continued information technology course work desirable.
- Five (5) years experience in coding, building and formatting reports using multiple tools and/or application software packages.
- Must have the ability to understand, decipher and modify reports at the SQL level.
- Must have the ability to understand table relationships and SQL commands including UNION, CASE and aggregates.
- Experience in Report writing and development in an environment that uses multiple databases and reporting tools with varied technologies, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that satisfies the requirements of the job.
- Five (5) years experience in Solutions Development using Business Intelligence development tools (MicroStrategy, Cognos, Tableau, or other equivalent product.)
- Knowledge of syntax variations across multiple Databases and corresponding SQL commands is required.
- Knowledge and experience with some of the following: Information developmental/design tools, LAN and WAN based applications, client/server technology, relational database technology, Graphical User Interface (GUI) and object oriented methodology.
- Skills to enable design development, documentation, and implementation of multi-platform reporting solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, co-workers and user department personnel.
- Development in techniques such as Data Visualization, Analytics, Dashboard development and Business Intelligence Solutions.
- Experience with SalesForce.com, particularly reporting, is a plus.
- Five (5) years experience in advanced SQL coding, including use of temporary tables, inline views and mathematical functions.
- Five (5) years experience in Business Objects (WEBI, Universe Design, Dashboard & Data Integrator a plus).
- Five (5) years experience in Crystal Reports (WEBI interface, Scheduling, Repositories).
- Knowledge of Cable Television billing systems, particularly ICOMS or Cable Services Group (CSG), is a plus.